Events in the Tri-Cities Area
- This event has passed.
2021 Tiny Art Throwdown
May 14 @ 8:00 am - May 15 @ 12:00 pm
Transform Downtown Elizabethton by covering it with art — Tiny Art!
Transform Downtown Elizabethton for Evenings on Elk by reimagining the most unappreciated features of our streetscape and use your creativity to make people laugh, think, and see small things in a new way.
Your creations will be part of a downtown street art walk during the festival.
This is a temporary pop-up show and competition where artists transform unattractive cracks, crannies, posts, pipes and windows into something magical.
- First Place $200
- Second Place $100
- Third Place $50
- 3 Judges Choice $25
A People’s Choice award will be voted on by festival-goers!
Criteria for judging include concept, creative use of site features, artistry, and “WOW” factor.
Participants will create works that are site-specific installations using previously selected city features. Some of these sites are obvious, and some are more hidden. All are meant to be a surprise discovery for people cruising the street art walk. Go to our Create Appalachia Facebook page to see entries from previous years and ideas. We’ll be posting available locations on Facebook, or contact us directly for a complete list of spots.
Install work on May 14. Awards announced at 11:00 am, May 15 at the Elizabethton Chamber of Commerce.
NOTE: Works must be taken down after the announcement unless the building owner requests that it stay.
$15 for 1-2 entries : Create 2 pieces for one entry fee and double your chances of winning.
GUIDELINES FOR ARTISTS:
Select a spot in advance so you can work on your creations before the event. Sites range from windows to sidewalks for water-based paint and chalk, to great spaces for installations. We recommend planning your art, and if appropriate, building parts ahead of time. That will make it easier to execute the work during the time allotted on May 14. Plan for rain.
We will coordinate with registered artists to help find a site and go over materials before the event.
1. Works must be installed between 10:00 am and 6 pm on Friday, May 14. Judging starts precisely at 7:00 pm.
2. DO NOT use paint on building walls.
Materials used must be removable or able to be washed away easily with water. Works must not damage or deface any building or site. You will provide your own materials.
3. Works must be “family-friendly.” Keep in mind much of your audience will be children.
4. Photograph the completed piece and text the image to 423-741-3669 as soon as it is done. We will be posting the images for the peoples choice voting and including them in our Instagram feed during the festival.
5. We must be sensitive to the needs of the businesses and building owners. All owners have the right to leave the work up until it washes away, or have it removed after the festival.
6. Entry fees are not refundable. If you agree to participate, we’ll be counting on you, so please show up and do your piece. The event’s success depends on having all the works ready on time.
6. Create Appalachia reserves the right to use reproductions of work produced for the festival in future materials promoting the Little Chicago Festival and The Tiny Art Throwdown. All uses will be attributed.
Get in touch with us to add your event here!